Bi Bim Bap is a traditional Korean rice bowl topped with an array of colorful components including savory meat, vegetables, and a sunny-side up egg. This wonderfully satisfying version uses cauliflower rice in place of rice. After you add all the toppings, stir it all together, breaking up the creamy egg yolk into the mix.
This recipe has several short steps; to simplify the preparation, serve with raw bean sprouts and shredded cucumber and skip salting the cucumber and cooking the bean sprouts.
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 12 – 15 minutes
JSMD Box Counts: 4 protein, 2 carb
Ingredients for Cauliflower Bi Bim Bap:
12 ounces stir fry beef
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 cups thinly sliced English cucumbers
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 cups mung bean sprouts
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, plus more to taste
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups shredded cauliflower (pulsed in a food processor)
4 large eggs
Directions for Cauliflower Bi Bim Bap:
- Warm 4 deep rice bowls for serving.
- To marinate the beef, toss it with the soy sauce, sesame oil, and garlic In a medium bowl. Let marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Toss the cucumber with salt and set aside for 15 minutes. Rinse, then drain. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Add the mung bean sprouts and blanch until just tender, 1 minute. Drain, then place in a small bowl and toss with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, a pinch of salt, and the sesame seeds.
- In a large frying pan or wok, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium heat, and add the cauliflower. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 4-5 minutes. Season with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil and salt to taste. Scrape out of the pan and transfer to 4 warmed deep bowls; keep warm (you can put the bowls in the closed microwave to stay warm).
- Heat another tablespoon oil in the same pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is very hot but not smoking, add the beef. Stir fry until cooked through, 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon canola oil over medium heat in a large frying pan or griddle, making sure the oil coats the surface. Crack the eggs evenly on the griddle and cook until the whites are completely opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Top each warm bowl of cauliflower rice with a scoop of cucumbers, a scoop of mung beans, a scoop of beef and then an egg on top. Serve right away.